Tuesday, June 21, 2011

marine life facing 'major extinctions'


Marine life is under severe threat from global warming, pollution and habitat loss, with a high risk of "major extinctions" according to a panel of experts.

These are the conclusions of a distinguished group of marine scientists who met at Oxford University, England, in April to discuss the impact of human activity on the world's oceans.

Source: CNN

This is the kind of news that makes me want to say, "Stop this planet, I want to get off!" We humans are screwing up the environment so horribly with our greed, carelessness, shortsightedness, and stupidity. For being the Earth's so-called "master species," we leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully we'll correct our foolish ways before everything unravels.

Since getting off the planet is not an option, I have to believe in a New Earth (Earth 2.0?), and a humanity-wide shift in consciousness. I and many others see signs of this shift happening already, but there are times I wish it was occurring faster (a revolution in consciousness, if I may). Perhaps the whole global warming thing will be the event that will force humans to finally realize how truly connected everything is. I have to believe we can rise and be a benevolent species, not the slash/burn/pollute/destroy idiots we have been so far.

No comments: