Sunday, April 10, 2016

a native mississippian

I am a native Mississippian, and I currently still live, work, and go to school in the state. I have always had a lot of pride in my state for reasons that many don’t get to hear about due to the backwards politics and history of discrimination within the state. Growing up here was an experience I would not ever wish to change. I had woods to play in all day long, my summers were spent at the river either kayaking or swimming, and I could fish anytime I wanted, thanks to the five-acre lake at my grandmother’s house. Life was good. As I have gotten older and wiser, I have realized that Mississippi is a kind of “Neverland” that hasn't grown into a state to support adults. We are the poorest, most illiterate state in the country and, now that the Governor has signed SB 2681 into law with his buddy Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council present, I can be discriminated against by anyone who cites religion as their reason.
- Democratic Underground 

No comments: