Thursday, May 29, 2008

the secret to happiness

Sometimes Universal Wisdom is found in the most unexpected places. I read the following in someone's online profile recently. Talk about a person who gets it!

It's interesting how many people still believe that outside things will bring them happiness. Clothes, TV, cars, popularity, even a boyfriend...guys get depressed when they tell themselves they need these things, and don't aquire them all. I certainly used to! Then I found out that happiness truly does come from within...it's not just a cheesy saying. It's the secret to happiness! So, I just decided to stop desiring stuff and start liking myself unconditionally instead. That worked well...for awhile.

But, then I noticed something was still missing. I had a void to fill, and not with material goods, status, or the obligatory boyfriend. No, it had to be filled with meaning...a sense of purpose...living a good life and making good, healthy choices. So now I try to be the best guy I can, accept myself for the things I can't change, pursue meaningful adventures and activities, and ignore all the rest out there. I'm back in school. I also strive to make quality friends, because we humans do need to have soul connections. Quality friendships and relationships (boyfriends are fine if they happen, not because I need one) are based on mutual respect, similar values, and encouragement. There's lots of giving.

So, now I have few possessions, no TV, I'm not popular, and I've never been happier!!


Astonishing clarity. Cheers, rt9!

No comments: