Sunday, October 11, 2009

"This issue is about checks and balances, period."

There is no chaos in the country. Of course Zelaya has a group of people supporting him, but they are NOT the majority and yet, they are the only ones being heard by the world. As demonstrated by the links posted on this page (by J Bush), most people rely on news sources that are highly biased against the interim government. For example, the aforementioned media should have mentioned that the Tribunal Superior de Cuentas [government auditor] is charging Zelaya with the appropriation of approximately 6.5 million dollars of the tax payer’s money. This is the money of the people he claims to be looking after. As you surely know, Honduras has a very high poverty rate and Zelaya should be judged and incarcerated if the state proves that he actually stole from the poor. Also, why don't these news sources clarify that the only chaos is being caused by Zelaya's supporters. For instance, the Resistencia has repeatedly broken into businesses to steal and destroy what they cannot take. Why is it that you don't hear about these incidents? Also, why is it that I haven't been able to find pictures of the times when 60, 80, and 100 thousand people held peaceful marches to tell the world we don't want Zelaya's return and asking the world to respect our sovereignty?

As for the people criticizing the interim government, I hope you understand that to me, this isn't just a rhetorical or intellectual exercise. I didn't learn Honduras existed right after this scandal. I didn't learn about Honduras by reading a few newspapers in the last few weeks. I was born and raised in Honduras. I was educated about the history of my country in my country and I have lived that history for 42 years. I care about the country I was born in and in which I was raised. I love the Honduran people and want the best for the future generations of Hondurans.

Now as a Honduran, I ask outsiders to respect my country's sovereignty and our constitution. Zelaya was removed from the presidency according to the Honduran constitutional and statutory law. Like most Hondurans, I understand that Zelaya shouldn’t have been taken out of the country, not only because we would have preferred for him to be judged for his crimes, but also because his removal was a violation of the Honduran Constitution. When was the last time you saw the checks and balances work in your country? I don't know about you, but I did see the system work in Honduras when the legislative and judicial branches stopped the executive power after it repeatedly violated our constitution. This issue is about checks and balances, period. Stop going on tangents and stick to the issue at hand.

Elections are on November 29 and Honduras has opened its doors for the "international community" to send its delegates to ensure a fair electoral process. Those who care about democracy will send their representatives and let the Honduran people decide our own future. Those who just care about making an example of our country so that others won't defy their supreme executive powers, will continue their fight against our checks and balances by going on different tangents since they know that if they stick to the issue, they won't be able to argue against the removal of Zelaya.

- Carmen Martinez (responding to Senator DeMint's Wall Street Journal editorial)

Excellent arguments and clarity, Ms. Martinez. Thank you! 

No comments: