Monday, July 20, 2009

economic extortion from the EU


I regret very much that it has not been possible so far to reach a mutually acceptable solution to the crisis in Honduras. Given the circumstances, I have taken the difficult decision to suspend all budget aid."

- Benita Ferrero-Waldner, European Union External Relations Commissioner

"Budget aid" seems to be monies the EU gives directly to the central government to assist in covering the nation's budget. With only six months to go, I'm not sure what this means exactly for Micheletti's Interim Government. I do believe that it is unfair to punish Honduras in any form or fashion for having stood up for democracy. (Don't these people realize the absurdity of their actions?) However, I also understand that it is their money so they have the right to suspend it if that is what they have decided is in their best interest.

Photo and source: El Heraldo.

No comments: